Saturday, June 11, 2011

Nothing But The Real Thing

#Trust30 30-day writing challenge from ralphwaldoemerson.me
Imitation is Suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
The Writing Prompt: Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a newborn you – one that doesn’t hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a “divine idea which each of us represents” – which is yours?
(Author: Fabian Kruse)


I never thought of it as imitation but rather as conforming to what society says I should be, but perhaps that is imitation. When you hide your truths because of a vision someone or something else holds of you. Imitating dims an individuals light. It blurs our vision looking in and looking out.

I conformed for many years. Imitated at times. But no more. The divine idea inside me is my desire to inspire and create change, through my writing, coaching, speaking, or even  an ordinary conversation with the dry cleaner. I want everyone to live their true selves.

Imitation is a world that looks like The Stepford Wives in which no one smiles.  Insisting on yourself looks more like Lady Gaga in which everyone wants to dance.

Some days it's easier to live in imitation mode. Most days it's not.
I'm insisting on me today.
How about you?

No comments: