Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Further Away I Get, The Closer I Am.

I have a secret. Since I started this blog I have professed that I do not miss Corporate America. That I am happy as a clam to be pursuing my passion and have no desire to ever walk into another executive office. But it's not entirely true. I have been holding back on you.

I dream about the day I put on one of those suits I rarely wear anymore and walk inside the climate controlled comfort of a marble lobby complete with a security desk. I look forward to pushing the button of said floor and taking another elevator ride up.

You see the further away I get, the closer I am to what I left.   My manuscript is officially being shopped. And all of those editors my agent will pitch me and my book to are housed in Corporate offices.

So the day my agent calls me and tells me my manuscript has been sold is the day I become tethered, once again to the very thing I left. And yes, I am looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From my good friend and best selling author Karen Quinn, http://karenquinn.net/, who due to technical difficulty was unable to post this herself!


"Weird, I just left you a similar comment on Facebook, not knowing what your post was about. Today, I'm in NYC and I'm about to go see my publisher at Simon & Schuster. I put on semi-real clothes (a jacket at least, but more casual pants and a top), real makeup which I never wear during the day anymore, and soon I'll be pressing that elevator button, going up to my editor's lovely air conditioned office with that great view. I love that I'm getting to do this. It's a privilege. I look forward to reading the blog post where you describe doing exactly this after your manuscript is sold. Driftwood!"