Sunday, March 14, 2010

This Can Happen To You Too!!

I haven't left the house for the better part of the last two days. I tried Saturday. I got as far as the gym and Whole Foods. The torrential rain wasn't what made me decide to decline dinner with a friend. It was the wind.

Sunday I had good intentions. I woke up to find that my building had not been swept to the East Side in one of those fierce gusts. I was happy. The rain had slowed down to just rain. I planned on leaving in the afternoon. Really, I did. Until I got sidetracked with that tax prep work for my accountant.

This is what can happen when you work from home. I don't recommend it. In fact I suggest that you be disciplined and create reasons and times to leave every day. Set alarms in Outlook. Or you won't. The weather or something else will get in the way and you'll find yourself taking an extra 1000mg of Vitamin D and rationalizing that virtual interaction is as good as in person. It's not. No matter how much you think you are accomplishing, you need to leave that desk. (Read this very funny post on the subject from Copyblogger )

That said, in the words of Scarlett O'Hara, Tomorrow is another day, one in which I promise to leave the house. Or is it the office? Oh, that's right, it's both!

No comments: