Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Circling My Keyboard

I told a friend of mine who is a new blogger the other day that blogging is good writing practice. I don't always listen to my own advice, but I am going to today. You see, Monday I sent off the latest version of my manuscript to my agent. Since then I have been wandering aimlessly, circling my keyboard, unable to write much of anything. That's where I've been in case you were wondering. Circling my keyboard.

It's a dance I have become familiar with since I started writing full time. I sit in front of the computer, my hands cannot move, and suddenly I am convinced that there is not another word left in me to say to anyone. ( I hear you laughing, but it is the truth!)

I keep thinking I need to go back to the manuscript. Read it again and try and guess what my agent's feedback will be. Hope she loves it! Hope she says it is ready to put on the street, or at least very close. But I know better. It's only been a day and a half. I need to let it simmer and go write something else. So I wander near that keyboard and instead of sitting in front of it, I do my circle dance. The one in which I think I have no more words to write.

I admit to feeling a little lonely without my characters, especially Darlene. She is the protagonist in the story. I have spent the better part of the last fifteen months with her. It feels a little strange not to be thinking up her next scene, dressing her in an outfit, or wondering what she is thinking.

I know, it's only been a day and a half and the chances that my agent and the editor she sells this to will not want at least a little tweaking are pretty slim. Yes, I am probably being melodramatic, but I am a writer. How could anyone be a writer without be able to conjure up a little drama on the spot? Besides I told you in advance this was writing practice. I wasn't promising a real blog. I just wanted to make sure I did still have some words in me.

No comments: